ABOUT LIFELAB KIDS: LifeLab Kids is a therapeutic, recreation, and teaching center for youth of all abilities. A comprehensive campus designed to grow with students and families, to offer real-life skills and developmentally appropriate opportunities to help children grow past their limitations and lead full, balanced lives. We build collaborative partnerships between students, families, and therapists to engage students’ passions and increase their health, happiness, and quality of life.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Art Therapist is responsible for the provision of Art Therapy services, including assessment, treatment planning, and therapeutic activity interventions. The therapist utilizes individual and/or group interventions to positively change the client’s cognitive, social, emotional, or physical behavior. The therapist educates the client and family in healthy coping skills and available resources to continue the client in post-discharge planning and involvement. The therapist is responsible for developing interventions appropriate for the client population to ensure therapeutic goals and objectives can be achieved.
- Establishes treatment goals and objectives to meet clients’ individual needs and determines the Art Therapy Modality by which the goals are achieved.
- Evaluates each client’s progress and the effectiveness of therapy treatment and record results on daily progress notes, following all documentation policies.
- Develops and applies clinical skills by interviewing and assessing clients’ level of functioning, observing patient participation in Art Therapy Sessions and their response to the same.
- Attends treatment team conferences to exchange information and observations with other team members such as speech therapy, occupational therapy, music, and recreational, and behaviorist.
- The therapist will use an art medium to reveal thoughts and feelings of clients and safely manage the reactions that may present.
- Assess client needs or disorders, using drawing, painting, sculpting, or other artistic processes.
- Conduct art therapy sessions providing guided self-expression experiences to help clients recover from or cope with cognitive, emotional, or physical impairments
- The therapist will collaborate with clients using a unique skill set of theoretical approaches in the use of art in implementing their treatment.
- Demonstrates understanding the growth and developmental stages of children and adolescents and initiates treatment based on their needs.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/SKILLS:
- Master’s Degree in Theories of Art Therapy, Counseling, or Psychotherapy from an institute identified by the American Art Therapy Association required.
- 1 year experience working with children and adolescents preferred.
- Experience with the development of structured, age-appropriate therapeutic interventions
- Knowledge of group dynamics preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable of the developmental stages and behaviors for age group of assigned clients.